Saturday 26 November 2016

The Griswold Family Christmas Tree


The Challenge at Seven Hills Crafts is to use your favourite Christmas song, movie or carol as inspiration.
For me that has to be National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
Such an awesome movie. I never get tired of watching it.

My card was inspired by the scene where the family trek into the snow for their tree. As the perfect tree comes into sight, the choral music starts up and it is bathed in a bright light.

"Dad, that thing won't fit in our yard."
"It's not going in our yard, Russ - it's going in our living room."


I die-cut my rectangle and inked it up, trying to create an area where the light would glow behind my tree.
Then I added some water drops for 'snow'.
This is still a new technique to me, and I'm flicking the water on with a paint brush, but I need to find a better way that will give me smaller spots.

Once the background was dry, it was a simple case of adding my hillside border,
stamping the sentiment,  attaching the tree with foam pads and then placing the panel inside the scalloped frame.

Challenge



MFT - Oh Christmas Tree stamps and dies and  Stitched Scalloped Rectangle Die
Sentiment - WPlus9 Heartfelt Holiday
Lawn Fawn - Stitched Hillside Border
Inks - Versacolor Cyan and Bisque. DistressInk Scattered Straw and Mermaid Lagoon

2 comments:

Esther said...

Great movie choice, and a fab card! The inked sky with glowing light is brilliant, and I love the contemporary tree, and the details of the stitched hillside border and scalloped frame which add superb visual interest without detracting from the focal point. Nicely done! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Seven Hills Crafts :)

Jenny said...

I'm sitting here chuckling at your excerpt from the movie... I need to watch it again too :) Love how you've turned the inspiration into a Christmas card, your inking is fabulous and smooth :)
Thanks for playing along with our last challenge of 2016 at Seven Hills Crafts :)
Jenny x